Senior social media specialist, Society for Science & the Public (Science News & Science News for Kids) — 02/2011–current
Managing the Society for Science & the Public's social media presence and strategy, which includes the Science News and Science News for Kids publications. Manage the day-to-day Web presence of Science News for Kids, as well as develop new features for the website.
- Increased Science New's Twitter followers to more than 700,000 from about 250,000 in less than two years and helped Science New's Twitter feed become verified
- Increased Science News's Facebook engagement 200-300% in first month and increased page likes from about 20,000 to more than 1 million in less than two years
- Developed social media policy and strategy for Science News and trained staffers in best practices
- Lead crowdfunding efforts for Science News and Science News for Kids, raising more than $23,000 over first two Kickstarter campaigns
- Led ScienceNewsforKids.org to record traffic, 1.5 million to 2 million pageviews per month, with new story page designs, SEO improvements, new features and dynamic homepage designs
- Developed a classification system and user interface for Science News for Kids stories by academic units, so that teachers can find stories to use in their classrooms
- Developed and implemented tagging system for ScienceNewsforKids.org that increased visibility in Google search rankings and increased traffic
- Take photos at all Society for Science & the Public events and serve as Science News for Kids photographer
Community and social media manager, Rare — 11/2009–09/2011
Crafted Rare’s social media strategy from the ground up and managed Rare’s online communities, including Facebook, Twitter and Rare’s own online community, RarePlanet.org, which led to significant growth in online traffic. Provided training (in person and via screencasts, live remote training sessions and written documents) for Rare staffers on Web tools, social media, blogging, photo and video capturing and more. Produced most of Rare’s online content, including managing blog, and updated Rare’s homepage regularly.
- Increased traffic to Rare’s blog by about 300 percent in one year
- Designed photo storage system and tagging procedure, which resulted in more than 25,000 company photos being uploaded, tagged and searchable by staff members anywhere in the world
- Organically increased Rare’s Twitter followers from 32 to more than 6,000 in about 18 months
- Oversaw the translation of training screencasts from English into Chinese, Spanish and Bahasa Indonesian
- Managed and encouraged the community on RarePlanet, helping to more than double pageviews and the number of users on the site
Editor/lead writer, New York University, Beatblogging.org — 06/2008–09/2009
Managed all editorial and technical aspects of website, studying and reporting on how journalists use social media, blogs and other Web tools to innovate. Managed a team of NYU students, assigned stories and edited all copy. Assisted journalists in making the transition to using the Web and social media as journalism tools.
- Increased traffic to BeatBlogging.org by more than 400 percent in a year
- Recommended online and social networking tools to help journalists connect with users on the Web and promoted two-way communication between beat reporters and users
- Designed, coded and implemented new features for BeatBlogging.org
- Monitored site analytics and provided reports for funders
- Produced a weekly podcast in which I interviewed journalists about how social media was changing their jobs and helping them to be better journalists
- Created screencasts to help journalists learn how to use social media and other Web tools
Web content editor, Stars and Stripes — 01/2007–06/2008
- Provided recommendations to our team of bloggers to improve content
- Created photo galleries, audio slideshows, videos and other multimedia content
- Provided multimedia and online training
Sports writer, Chagrin Valley Times — 06/2006–01/2007
Wrote news and features stories on high school sports.
Editor and co-founder, Interchange project — 2011–present
Co-founded project with journalism professor Jeremy Littau to study and report on the intersection of technology, journalism, information, usability, design and the social sciences.
- Co-host and edit weekly podcast
- Handle all technical aspects of website, including design, code, hosting, content management system and content delivery network
Contributor, Poynter.org — 2009–present
Research and report on the media industry, focusing on how journalists and news organizations are using the Internet, with an emphasis on online journalism, online communities and social media.
- Built a network of sources of journalists, academics and experts
- Create screencasts and other visual content to help tell stories and educate journalists
Social media researcher and consultant — 2009–present
Create social media strategies to help clients achieve strategic goals.
- Managed best-selling author Joseph Finder’s social media for his book Vanished (debuted at No. 13 on the New York Times Best Seller list)